Celebrating its 29th consecutive year in 2015, there will be plenty of jazz, blues and swing music, combined with a mix of ballads, standards, originals and Americana.
It's all being offered at Millsite Park most Thursday evenings during July and August from 6 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. There is no admission charge and parking is free. Several local businesses may remain open late to accommodate those attending the concerts. A limited amount of RV parking is available at Millsite Park. There is a new 69 space RV park in nearby Tri-City.
According to Ted Romas, Event Coordinator, this is the longest running free concert series in Douglas County. Articles appearing in July 1987 issues of the Umpqua Free Press (now the Douglas County Mail) report that the Myrtle Creek Area Chamber of Commerce presented the first performances of Music in the Park that summer. For 12 years the concerts were successfully organized and coordinated by Bill and Marilyn West, both well-known residents of Myrtle Creek. Since 2007 the summer concerts have been presented by the Myrtle Creek~Tri City Area Chamber of Commerce.
In 2007, for the first time in the history of the concert series, corporate sponsorship was sought. Frontier Communications offered to make a substantial contribution to the event and, as a result, has been the Overall Event Sponsor since then. Other major contributors have included the C.Giles Hunt Charitable Trust, C&D Lumber of Riddle, the Cow Creek Band of the Umpqua Tribe of Indians, and South Umpqua Disposal of Myrtle Creek/Tri-City. Additionally, over 50 local businesses and individuals have contributed to help keep the concert series free to all.
Millsite Park is an excellent location for Music in the Park. The band shell includes a stage and a concrete dance area. The grassy area is large enough to accommodate hundreds of spectators who bring their own lawn chairs, blankets and coolers. Restroom facilities are located nearby. Pets are welcome, if kept under control and cleaned up after.
For more information about Myrtle Creek's 2015 Music in the Park concert series, contact Ted Romas at 541-860-5846.
Performance Schedule for 2015 Summer Season of Music in the Park
Music in the Park is a FREE community event held in Millsite Park.
All dates/times are Thursday evenings beginning at 6 PM
with one temporary exception*
- Season Opener: July 9
- Kerry Christensen, Provo, UT. This world-class Master Yodeler, also known as the Rocky Mountain Super Yodeler, performed locally last March to large audiences. Kerry is a first-class musician, singer and showman you won't want to miss. You can read about Kerry and listen to his music at: www.kerrychristensen.com
- July 16
- The Eddy Ross Band, Winston, OR. Eddy and his band play contemporary country style "good to dance to" music and add their own brand of wit and humor. Check them out on FaceBook at: The Eddy Ross Band
- July 23, 24, 25
- Enjoy the Myrtle Creek Summer Festival All Weekend
- July 31 *FRIDAY*
*This change from Thursday, July 30 is due to a planned overnite visit July 31 by 250-300 bicyclists!!!*
The Tim Hall Band, Gig Harbor, WA, will perform on the same evening that about 250 touring bicyclists will be overnighting in Millsite Park. The 5-member band plays classic rock, blues, soul and funk. Visit them at: timhallband.com
- August 6
- Frankie Hernandez - The Old Soul Parade, Ashland, OR. A blend of soul, funk & rock, all with a Latin/reggae twist, will get you up & dancing! Listen to the music at: reverbnation.com/frankiehernandezmusic
- August 13
- ACES WILD, Roseburg, OR. The question often asked about this popular local band is "Are they really country?" Perhaps the best answer is, "yes and more" because their shared common goal is to make music their own way and make it awesome. Check them out at: reverbnation.com/aceswildroseburg
- August 20
- The Tory Rose Band, Oakland, OR. At 12 years old Tory picked up a guitar and, within a couple hours, taught herself a few chords and wrote her first song. She is now on her way to success with her own country-crossover band. She's Tory Rose on FaceBook.
- Closing Performance: August 27
- Mo' Jo Boogie, Roseburg, OR, will bring an eclectic selection of funk, R&B, soul, jazz, surf & rockin' blues to make you want to "get your Mo'Jo on" at this closer of our 29th consecutive year. Check them out on FaceBook at: MoJoBoogieMusic